Volunteering for SDN can help you in many ways by building Confidence that has often been lost through having the added difficulties in life of having a disability. Some Volunteers tell us, they find it enjoyable and fulfilling but also have become part of a new family. Or they have made new friends or they did not realise we needed help or had a particular skill.
In the last two years we have lost a number of volunteers for a number of reasons, we need to replace these people and fill gaps left, so that we can continue our work plus we need to continue to meet the vision of SDN.
We know we have members with many skills and we have no doubt if you could just offer one or two hours a week or half or a day a month we can find you a rewarding opportunity to work with us and help your fellow members.
So what opportunities do we have:
- We don’t need or want Computer programmers but we DO want a couple of people who we can train to upload information onto our website.
- We have one dedicated Volunteer who reads articles from our Newsletter “Your Voice” onto SDN TV, this is so important as it is a way of engaging with those who have visual impairment and the non reader. Could you do this and help? Share the great workMarinaalready does for us and/or increase the amount of information we can share with others. Training will be provided.
- We need to keep our website up to date. Details of organisations are always changing, so we need people who are willing to update these details on our website as we receive/discover them.
- We need people who can carry out short interviews of 2-3 minutes using bloggie cameras (supplied by us) that we can then put on our website including SDN TV .
- We would like Reporters, who can either telephone people to carry out an interview or who can go out to events (Shropshire including Telford and Wrekin) that are relevant to people with a disability , so providing local reports that can be used in our Newsletter “Your Voice” and on our website may be as blogs etc
- We need people who can help serve teas and coffees etc at our quarterly meetings, buddies helping those who find it difficult to get refreshments or who need help in any way and at some of our fundraising events. Would you like to know more, then please get in touch.
- We need to have a list of people who we can ask if they are available to help man our Information Stands at various venues throughout the year. Would you be willing to be included on such a list? If so please let us know.
We would like to build up a group of Volunteers in theTelfordarea as well as increase the number of volunteers inShrewsburyand surrounding areas. Essential out of pocket expenses can be agreed.
This is not exhaustive of the opportunities available to you, our members. If there is something you feel you could offer your organisation-Shropshire Disability Network, but it is not mentioned, please tell us.
SDN is totally reliant on volunteers in order to operate so please if you have a skill to offer talk to us.
Call Sonia on 07930 397 270 or Ruby on 01743 340832 and they would be pleased to chat about what you have to offer. Please remember, we give training to all our Volunteers.