Telephone: 01743 250808 (The office is staffed-Monday to Thursday 8.15 am to 1 pm, answer phone at other times)
Address: Sight Loss Shropshire Office,The Lantern, Meadow Farm Drive, Harlescott, Shrewsbury, SY1 4NG
Sight Loss Shropshire (formerly Shropshire Voluntary Association for the Blind) was founded in 1922. It is a registered charity that helps and supports blind and visually impaired people of all ages in Shropshire and Telford and Wrekin.SVAB is a registered charity.
Sight Loss is one of the national network of local charities for blind and visually impaired people that serve every part of the country. We are a member of the National Association of Local Societies for Visually Impaired People (NALSVI) and also the Midlands Societies for the Blind.
Sight Loss Shropshire’s aim is to improve the quality of life of visually impaired people of all ages who live in Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin. Our work includes the following:
- providing grants to help visually impaired people to acquire specialist aids and equipment;
- organising and providing major social events;
- supporting a network of local social groups for visually impaired people who meet in every part of our area by funding room rentals, transport and refreshments;
- operating and maintaining the ‘See Hear Van’ that visits all parts of our area, with information and advice to assist people with sight and hearing loss;
- organising an annual group holiday;
- working with our partners to ensure that visually impaired people have a voice;
- acting as the local agent for the British Wireless for the Blind Fund services.
Our Committee is drawn from all over Shropshire and Telford and Wrekin. Half of the Committee are themselves either blind or partially sighted, and therefore have real first-hand understanding of the challenges of living with visual impairment.
Sight Loss Shropshire’s work is heavily dependent the services of local volunteers.
By visiting the website of Sight Loss http://www.sightlossshropshire.org.uk/ you can find a list of Local Social Groups as well as a list of dates when the See and Hear Van is at various locations in Shropshire. Local Self Help Groups meet as follows :
- Oswestry Visually Impaired Group meets on the third Tuesday of each month, 2 pm-4 pm (except January, February and August) at The Walford Davies Suite, at The Guildhall, Oswestry.
- Oswestry Sight Loss Group meets at Oswestry Library, Arthur Street, Oswestry on the first Wednesday of the month from 10 am to 12 noon.
- Market Drayton Visually Impaired Group meet at the Methodist Church Hall, Clive Road, Market Drayton on the first Wednesday in the month(except for January and August), 2 pm-3.45 pm.
- Wem Macular Support Group. Meetings are held from 2 pm to 4 pm on the last Wednesday of the month at Wem Town Hall.
- Shrewsbury Visual Impaired Group meets for lunch and a chat at Churchill’s Restaurant at The Beaconsfield Club, Meadow Place, Shrewsbury on the first Wednesday of the month from 12:30 pm.
- Shrewsbury Macular Support Group meets at St Nicolas Church Hall, United Reformed Church, Coleham Head, Shrewsbury. I pm-3 pm each on the third Monday of every month.
- Shrewsbury Sight Loss Group meet at The Lion Hotel,, Shrewsbury on the fourth Wednesday in the month 2 pm-4 pm.
- Telford Visually Impaired Group meet at Meeting Point House, Telford Town Centre on the first Thursday of the month from 12:30 pm.
- Newport VIPs meet at Cornmel Lea, Community Centre, Newport on the first Tuesday each month from 2.30 pm- 4 pm.
- Telford Macular Support Group meets from 1:30pm to 3:30pm on the second Tuesday of every month at Wellington Methodist Church, New Street, Wellington, Telford, TF1 1LU.
- Church Stretton Macular Support Group meets alternate months on a Friday from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm at The Health and Wellbeing Centre, Easthope Road, Church Stretton.
- Bridgnorth Group meets at The People’s Hall Evangelical Church, St. John Street, Low Town, Bridgnorth on the last Thursday of the month from 2 pm to 4 pm.
- Ludlow Sighlt Loss Group meet at St Peter’s Church Hall, Henley Road, Ludlow on the second Monday of the month at 10:30 am to 12:30 pm.
- SLOG Cycling Group meets at Sundorne Sports Village, Sundorne Road, Shrewsbury on the third Wednesday of the month from 11 am to 12 noon between March and September.
Find us on Face Book @SightLossShropshire and Twitter @SightLossShrop
Registered Charity Number 215137