Contact Rob Hood (Secretary) Sue Wood (Chair)
Telephone: 01952 252243 (Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm)
Address Rob Hood, Secretary, 10, Limetree Way, Wellington, Telford TF1 3PJ
By joining SWUG you have the chance to air your opinions on all aspects of using a wheelchair to service providers and the NHS in order to influence change.
SWUG is open to all wheelchair users and or carers. Membership is FREE!
Come along to one of our group meetings & discuss the issues that affect wheelchair users and assist in taking action accordingly.
The group is involved in a wide variety of issues, including:
- Wheelchair Retrieval – campaigning to recall chairs no longer needed, for refurbishment and reassignment. SWUG promoted a poster campaign in hospitals & GP surgeries about this.
- Priority Response – If you are a permanent wheelchair user & have need for emergency repairs to your chair then you can have your situation assessed within 4 hours!
- Voucher Scheme – SWUG has assisted in establishing guidelines for the issue of wheelchair vouchers to give users a wider choice of chairs. Details available from the service.
- Wheelchair Weighing Facility – If users have no standing capacity and want to know their accurate weight, they can attend the weighing service on the first Thursday of every month between 10 am and 2 pm
- Wheelchair Repairs: If you use a NHS wheelchair then it will need repairs at some time. SWUG is a watch dog and monitors & aims to improve the system to benefit for the wheelchair user.
- Better facilities for people with disabilities at NHS outlets: We campaign for adequate facilities throughout the county for the disabled ie parking places, toilets, changing facilities.
- Improved access in Shropshire: We take up issues re Blue Badges, Park & Ride. SWUG has links with Town & County access groups & raise any issue that may affect user or carer.
SWUG meet on the 1st Thursday of the month (Except August) at Shropshire Rehabilitation Centre, Lancaster Road, Harlescott, Shrewsbury SY1 3NJ Meetings start at 12.30 pm