Event title: Shropshire Deaf & Hard of Hearing Forum
Venue: The Memorial Hall, Smithfield Street, Oswestry, SY11 2EG
Name: Hugh Battersby
Event description:Councillor Peter Cherrington, Mayor of Oswestry has kindly agreed to open the meeting.
Our speakers at our meeting will be Margaret Chamberlain and Caroline Anderton.
- Our first speaker will be Caroline Anderton, Head of Engagement at Hearing Link, a major national charity for Deaf and hearing-impaired people, will tell us about their work – “Hearing Link: Connecting People with Hearing Loss” Her talk will be entitled “Connecting People, Transforming Lives”.
- Next, Geoff Jones, a volunteer for the Hearing Loss Support Service, will demonstrate his prototype devices which allow people with limited mobility to fit and remove their hearing aids. These will be available to look at during the tea break. Geoff is particularly anxious to find some people who are willing to try out these devices, so that they can be further developed.
- Last but not least –Margaret Chamberlain is a wheelchair user and hearing-impaired; she is a Town Councillor and former Mayor of Oswestry and a doughty campaigner for disabled people.
- A Sign Language Interpreter will be present courtesy of Viss & Shropshire Council.
- A loop system will be provided
- Hearing Dogs are most welcome
Ample parking is available in the town’s main public car park, just beside the Hall (Entrance from Salop Road)