22nd June 2020
31st August 2020
Housing is a key part of Telford & Wrekin Council long term version for the borough, which is set out in the Community Plan ‘Our Programme to Protect, Care and Invest to create a better borough, 2019 – 2023’.
The new draft that is available by clicking on this link Housing Strategy for Telford & Wrekin (2020-2025) provides a vision and plans for housing in the borough for the next five years. It is a priority to make sure that everyone in Telford and Wrekin has somewhere safe, warm and affordable to live and we are committed to achieving this.
The draft strategy was approved for consultation by the Council’s Cabinet on 18 June 2020. It launched on the 22 June and will close 12pm, Monday 31 August 2020.
Our vision and priorities:
“A decent home is the foundation upon which people build their lives. The right balance of good quality homes, which are affordable, accessible and sustainable is essential to the economic prosperity, health and well-being of everyone in our borough.
The draft strategy sets out three key housing priorities and the associated outcomes for each one. Working towards these priorities will help us achieve our vision”.
Objective 1: to create sustainable, accessible, affordable and integrated communities:
- review the Council’s long term development plan for the borough – the Telford & Wrekin Local Plan – to help make Telford and Wrekin a great place to live
- promote high standards in all new build homes and ensure that they contribute positively towards the Council’s climate change commitments
- work with our partners to achieve a real net gain in the number of truly affordable homes available
- continue to provide more new sustainable homes through Nuplace and examine new opportunities for the Council to be a direct home provider.
Objective 2: to make the BEST use of our existing homes:
- support the positive redevelopment and improvement of existing homes to address climate change and reduce fuel poverty
- continue to work to bring empty homes back into use
- create a new focus on housing renewal in the borough, starting with some of the earliest new town housing estates to deliver sustainable, cohesive communities
- champion high standards in the private rented sector, actively addressing the worst conditions through the application of our Better Homes for All programme whilst providing a strong role model through Nuplace.
Objective 3: to provide homes to support and empower our most vulnerable people:
- work with our partners to increase the supply of specialist and accessible homes for older and vulnerable people
- help local people, including key workers and veterans, to find and sustain the homes they need
- help people to live in their own homes as independently as they can for as long as possible
- continue to prevent homelessness and work to eradicate rough sleeping.
How we will deliver our priorities:
As the local strategic housing authority for Telford and Wrekin, we will take a proactive, innovative and informed approach to meeting local housing needs. However we cannot address all of the borough’s housing needs alone and overnight. We are realistic about the challenges that exist and we will rely on working closely with partners, stakeholders and our local communities.
The purpose of this consultation is to seek views on the priorities & objectives of the strategy and how these can be achieved.
The consultation period will run for 10 weeks from Monday 22 June to 12pm Monday 31 August. The Council will engage with stakeholders and partners in a number of ways during this period including:
- online questionnaire also available here to download.
- small stakeholder group engagement sessions
- direct stakeholder engagement.
You can also give your views by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by 12pm Monday 31 August 2020.
Consultation and feedback will be used to prepare the final Strategy for consideration by the Council’s Cabinet before adoption. A report summarising the responses will be prepared.
Following adoption of the strategy, we will prepare a detailed delivery plan setting out our targets, key projects and activities. It will also state how we will measure our progress.
Progress against the plan will be reported to Council Members and partners and an annual update will be published on our website.
Watch/Listen here to Councillor David Wright, Telford & Wrekin Council’s Cabinet Member for Housing introduces a consultation on a draft five year housing strategy. https://youtu.be/mXXQYUi8QoY